What is Zoloft?
Zoloft is a medication for treating numerous mental diseases: OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, MDD or Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, PMDD or Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder and a number of others illnesses. This drug was approved by Food and Drug Administration or FDA. Zoloft is a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). This is a very effective medicine in treatment of different kinds of depressions; Zoloft is one of the best antidepressants in its line. Sometimes there appear some disorders and imbalances in a man’s brain, which are the cause of various mental illnesses; and Zoloft works as a means of making everything work in the right way. Moreover, Zoloft is very safe, because it’s allowed to use it for treatment of children under six.
Important Facts about Zoloft
Since Zoloft (Setraline) is rather drastic medicine, it’s strongly recommended to take it in a proper way and in a proper dosage. This will help to make the best use of Zoloft and stay aside from various side effects. So, here are some facts about Zoloft which are recommended to know.
- There are some medications which you shouldn’t take together with Zoloft. This is because different complications can occur, which are caused by their interaction. Before taking Zoloft, tell your doctor about all the medications you take. If you are taking any of monoamine oxidase (or MAO) inhibitors, you can start taking Zoloft only when 14 days after you stop them pass.
- If you are going to use Zoloft as a treatment of depression in your child, consult a doctor, because it’s approved only for treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in kids.
- Those people who are taking care of patients, who are taking Zoloft, should notice any differences in their behavior, since Zoloft may cause some disorders, for example, a patient may become bent on self-destruction or think about suicide. Such changes should be immediately taken into consideration by the doctor.
- There are some factors which influence the dosage of Zoloft taken by a patient. They are: your age, your current health and some others. Whether you have any problems with your health like seizures, kidney or liver problems, bipolar disorder, epilepsy or something else, when you’re going to take Zoloft, don’t forget to tell about them your doctor, and he will decide on the dosage of Zoloft or if it is so rewarding to take it at all.
- When you are taking Zoloft, do it according to the prescribed dosage. For better absorption take it with a glass of water. The effect of Zoloft treatment is usually seen and felt after 4 or 5 weeks of treatment. Also it’s strongly recommended not to stop taking Zoloft abruptly, it should be done gradually.
- While taking Zoloft don’t take alcoholic beverages or something else that can make you sleepy. Don’t take various sleeping drugs, muscle relaxers or any narcotic pain medications.
- Women, who are breastfeeding or pregnant should consult their doctors before taking Zoloft and start Zoloft course carefully.
Zoloft: Side Effects
Zoloft treatment can cause some minor and severe side effects, the same as almost all heteropathic medications do. If some allergic reactions appear or there are some side effects noticed, patient who is under Zoloft treatment should be taken to a doctor or nearest hospital. The earlier the problem is identified, the quicker medical intervention will be and it will be better for a patient. Some of the minor side effects of Zoloft are usually little irritations, which most commonly don’t stay for a long. Here are some other minor side effects of Zoloft:
- Nausea, stomach pain and sometime constipation
- Feeling tired, drowsy and dizzy
- Decreased sex drive and impotence
- Appetite and weight changes
And this is a list of several severe side effects of Zoloft:
- High fever
- Tremors and overactive reflexes
- Loss of coordination
- Breathing difficulty
- Muscle rigidity or stiffness
- Excessive sweating
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite
- Uneven heartbeats
Zoloft has proved to be one of the most popular and best antidepressants nowadays. If your doctor prescribed it to you, Zoloft is available in all drugstores. Also there is an opportunity to purchase Zoloft online; in such case you may get it with a discount and at a lower price.